11 June 2010



Steve Biko yesterday beat the newly crowned champions of the GFA First Division league Gambia Ports Authority in the final game of the season held at Serekunda West Mini Stadium.

Gambia Ports Authority made a superb start to the game showing why they have been crowned champions as they created numerous chances and camped in their opponent’s goal mouth for sustained spells.

Sulayman Sanyang got a ball over the edge of the penalty box in the 16th minute with little defensive encumbrance to thwart his effort but his shot proved too lame, enabling the goalkeeper to let it peter it out with the minimum of trouble.

Steve Biko got a scare in the 18th minute when Alagie Fatajo released a howitzer that hit the upper frame of the goal post just a little distance out of the penalty yard.

Just before the break in the 34th minute, Sulayman Sanyang managed to get his head to a cross from the midfield which the goal keeper saved.
The second half saw more action from the defending champions as they sought to break the stalemate while their opponents dug deeper into their defense to stave off goals.

Toni Mendy made a successful instinctive move for a cross sent out by Hamza Barry in the 56th minute but a defender came to Steve Biko's rescue and foiled the incursion.

Matarr Ceesay placed a close header over the bar whilst Alagie Fatajo hit the wood work for the second time in the 71st minute. Though Steve Biko Football Club were thoroughly outplayed in both segments of the game a twist of fate helped them to claim the lead when Ports player Bun Gaye inadvertently handled the ball in the penalty box.

Ousman Njie stepped up to the ball in the penalty spot and sent the goal keeper the wrong way, occasioning wild celebrations among Steve Biko fans in the stands.

Steve Biko assistant gaffer Borris Demba noted that he was not surprised at the result achieved by his players because they had trained hard and played the way they have been taught to.

“I am not surprised at the way the team has played. These players have been with us learning how to play football from the academy to the youth team and then the senior team” he said.

He conceded that playing against a team that has won the league is not a rudimentary task but commended his team for concocting a formula to win the encounter. He said that the suspension handed Steve Biko’s Head Coach had not affected them negatively because they all worked together to achieve their aims.

“We all work together to achieve our ambitions. We do not have any differences in the technical group, that is why we are so successful”, he said.
Quizzed on suggestions that his team had favored Bakau United to a one goal win against them to save them from relegation, Demba said that such insinuations were being made by people who do not want his team to go forward.

He said that his team was not favored when they were experiencing difficult times so they will not make favors for any team.

<< Home